[Biopython-dev] Rethinking Biopython's testing framework

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 12:32:18 UTC 2008

> Michiel de Hoon wrote:
> > If one of the sub-tests fails, Python's unit
> > testing framework will tell us so,
> > though (perhaps) not exactly which sub-test fails.
> > However, that is easy to
> > figure out just by running the individual test script
> > by itself.
>
> That won't always work.  Consider intermittent network
> problems, or tests using random data - in general it
> really is worthwhile having run_tests.py report a little
> more than just which test_XXX.py module failed.

I wonder if Python's unit testing framework allows us to capture exactly which sub-test fails. I'll look into that. Ideally, it should be possible to have regular Python unit tests and Biopython-style print-and-compare tests side by side, and get information about failing sub-tests for both.

--Michiel.