[Biopython-dev] Removing the deprecated Bio.WWW modules

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 11:23:17 UTC 2008

>> Note that Bio.WWW.__init__.py contains some code that is used in other modules.
>> Most (but not all) of these modules are deprecated themselves. For the
>> non-deprecated modules, it's probably easiest to just copy the code from
>> Bio.WWW.__init__.py over to avoid having to import Bio.WWW.
>
> Good catch - I didn't do my recursive grep correctly.  The file
> Bio/WWW/__init__.py just contains a RequestLimiter class, and this is
> currently used in:
>
> Bio/Blast/NCBIWWW.py (used in qblast, simple to recode as in Bio.Entrez)
> Bio/config/_support.py (completely deprecated)
> Bio/Prosite/__init__.py (in the deprecated ExPASyDictionary class)
> Bio/SwissProt/SProt.py (in the deprecated ExPASyDictionary class)

I updated Bio/Blast/NCBIWWW.py in CVS revision 1.52 not to use
Bio.WWW, meaning that the Bio.WWW modules are no longer used by any
current Biopython modules.  I then added a deprecation warning to
Bio/WWW/__init__.py in CVS revision 1.9

> Note I have just updated Bio.Prosite and Bio.SwissProt to use
> Bio.ExPASy rather than Bio.WWW.ExPASy which means we can delete the
> deprecated Bio/WWW/ExPASy.py, InterPro.py, NCBI.py and SCOP.py now.

I have also removed the deprecated four files Bio/WWW/ExPASy.py,
InterPro.py, NCBI.py and SCOP.py