[Biopython-dev] Genbank dbSNP support

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 12:27:55 UTC 2008

> Any plans for dbSNP support?
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/index.html

No existing plans, as far as I know.

> I think I would volunteer to implement this.

Great!

> I think I would volunteer to implement this. A simple solution would
> be to add both databases and return types. Michiel (I suppose this is
> code that you are actively maintaining, or it is Peter?), can I send
> you a diff?

Opening a bug report on Bugzilla and adding your diff there is better. It's likely to get lost (i.e., forgotten) if it's in an email.

Also, please have a look at Bio.Entrez (the module formerly known as Bio.WWW.NCBI). It has code for all of NCBI's EUtils, including efetch, except for parsers at this point. This is currently under development. Bio.Entrez is in release 1.45, but there are already some additions in CVS.

--Michiel.