[Biopython-dev] Bio.PopGen and CVS/SVN

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 12:23:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What is the advantage of branching?
> AFAIK, the code in Bio.PopGen does not affect the rest of Biopython anyway.
> All things equal, I'd prefer not to branch to keep things simple for users,
> not to mention myself.

The idea was to make things easier to you and new developers, actually.

Mess on the branches and a clean trunk to be easy for new developers
and easy releases.
Merging would probably be the responsability of whoever is developing the code.
So you would have a clean trunk and new people would also see something clean.

I think the problem really stems from where biopython is going: if it
is mainly maintenance mode then branching makes no sense (as new code
is essencially refactoring and bug patching). If there are new
features and modules poping in (which might bring initial chaos) then
branching would be a good place to clean out the chaos before hitting
the main trunk.

Most of the code that I am adding now is actually quite pacific
(although being the most important), but I was trying to avoid having
the main trunk with code under heavy development.

Tiago