[Biopython-dev] BioRegistry, Bio.db

Peter biopython-dev at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 19:58:45 UTC 2007

While looking over the Tutorial this evening (and making some sequence
related updates), I and noticed that the section "BioRegistry –
automatically finding sequence sources"  (in the Cook Book chapter)
doesn't work anymore.

I believe that Bio.db is setup by the complicated and un-commented
code in Bio/__init__.py by calling Bio/config/DBRegistry.py - this was
commented out for Biopython 1.44

Does anyone use this module? I've never really looked at it in depth,
but it looks interesting and perhaps worth saving.  Note if we do want
to resurrect it, it needs a unit test.

At first glance, the only Martel dependency here is for recognising
error conditions and giving nice messages instead.  If that's all it
is used for, then perhaps we can switch to regular expressions
instead.