[Biopython-dev] SAGE project support

Marshall Hampton mhampton at d.umn.edu
Wed Mar 21 14:29:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

I thought I would alert readers of this list to the fact that I recently
asked the project leader for SAGE (Software for Algebra and Geometry
Experimentation), William Stein, to add biopython as an optional package
for SAGE.  In his usual speedy fashion, he did so in a couple of hours!

SAGE is a very exciting platform for uniting many open-source projects in
mathematics.  By leveraging lots of existing code it has progressed
extremely rapidly.  Currently the main server at the University of
Washington is down for maintenance, but there is a mirror (maybe to become
the main site) at:

www.sagemath.org

The screenshots link gives a pretty good idea of what SAGE is currently
capable of.

By the way, I am currently using biopython heavily in a bioinformatics
course and I hope to contribute more to the project in the future.

Cheers,
Marshall Hampton
University of Minnesota, Duluth