[Biopython-dev] Offer to convert BioPython to NumPy

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 2 18:10:50 UTC 2007

Ed Schofield wrote:
> Last month there was some interest expressed on this list (and the general
> discussion list) about conversion of the codebase from Numeric to NumPy. I'd
> like to volunteer to lead this effort.
Thanks! I'd be happy to see Biopython to get to work with numpy.

> I think trying to retain compatibility with Numeric would be unrealistic.
Why is that so? For example, matplotlib happily supports Numeric, NumPy,
and numarray.

Given that the latest version of NumPy does not compile out of the box
on Cygwin, I'd be very hesitant to drop Numeric support for Biopython.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics