[Biopython-dev] interaction networks in biopython

Jake Feala jfeala at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 17:55:11 UTC 2007

Michiel -

Thanks for the advice.  For consistency with Biopython parsers, I did
write an __init__.py for the module that contains a parse(f,format)
function to behave like you suggest.  I'll put the script up on the
website (http://cmrg.ucsd.edu/JakeFeala#software) with the others.

As for the create_network function, I think it is necessary to pass a
"directed" argument in order to create a Network object with the right
superclass.  (sorry this was not obvious from the usage example I
gave).  My Network objects inherit either a directed or undirected
graph class from the existing NetworkX package.  The code looks like
this:

from networkx import XGraph,XDiGraph

def create_network(directed=False):
    """Generates Network object derived from a directed or undirected
NetworkX Graph class """
    if not directed:
        GraphClass = XGraph
    else:
        GraphClass = XDiGraph

    class Network(GraphClass):
        """Biological network based on NetworkX XGraph class.  This wrapper
        bundles biological annotations (from InteractionRecord) with the
        graph representation and offers compatibility with Biopython, SBML,
        and Cytoscape
        """
        def __init__(self):
            """Initializes a new Network object."""
            super(Network,self).__init__(selfloops=True)
            self.__interaction_recs = {}

        def <rest of class definition>...

I tried to think of a better way to do this but this was the easiest I
could think of.  What I could do is add to parse(f,format) the
capability of choosing the type of GraphClass based on the input file
format, but I am afraid of taking away the flexibility of choosing to
treat directed links as undirected.  Any ideas?

-Jake