[Biopython-dev] biopython-dev

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 10:35:59 UTC 2007

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the info, let me see if I can sum up what I have and what I
am planning to do...

I currently work with microsatellite and SNP data (already isolated
ones, not retrieved from sequences that I have). I have code (parsers,
controllers... is varies from case to case; the quality also varies)
related to GenePop, fdist2, SimCoal2, Arlequin. I also have
preliminary code to work with HapMap and the UCSC table browser.
I have code implementing some statistics like Fst (Cockram and Weir),
expected/observed heterozygozity, ...
I will be, in the middle term, quite interested in all the sequence
part (Tajima Ds, Fu and Li's, and e.g. the new statistic in the Voight
2006 paper). Also, linkage disequilibrium is very high on my priority
list.
I have been thinking quite a bit on representation of markers and
populations (especially in a genomic context). e.g. I have noticed
that you use a couple of arrays, one with names, the other with
sequences, to represent population data. I am currently scratching my
head with representation on a genomic scale (ie, multi-marker, mainly
because of LD). But I think this will come smoothly when I really
start to do LD studies...
This is all in a context of detecting selection, disentangling
selection from population structure, and hopefully, in the near future
coevolution in the context of host/parasite (diseases...).

I have set aside some time to assure that all the code that I am doing
can be reused by the community. It is my plan to build and maintain
this code during the next years (I am funded until 2010 with a PhD
grant).

Regards,
Tiago

--