[Biopython-dev] Moving from Numeric to NumPy

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 6 16:56:47 UTC 2007

Bruce Southey wrote:
> Hi,
> I would be interested in trying to help out on this as my time
> permits. Is there any plan of action?

Not as far as I know. Can I nominate you as the Biopython
Numeric-to-numpy conversion project leader?
According to the numpy website, this conversion should be easy, but not
without some effort. Basically, you'd have to find out if the Python
scripts that use Numerical Python need to be modified for numpy, and if
the C-code using Numerical Python still compiles and runs correctly with
numpy. If few changes are needed, we may be able to make Biopython
compatible with both Numerical Python and numpy.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics