[Biopython-dev] Jython and sqlite

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:31:42 UTC 2007

Hi!

Just a mail to ask about Jython and sqlite.

About Jython: Is there any policy on Jython support? I am myself a
Jython user, and in the code that I submitted to Bio.PopGen I tend to
try to support Jython at least partially. I sometimes use older Python
dialects (because Jython is still on 2.2) and avoid changing
directories when calling external applications (the JVM doesn't
support the concept of changing directories). The code that I have
submitted (not the test code) supports Jython even when calling
external applications.

sqllite: On code that I intend to submit in the near future (HapMap
related), I currently use the sqlite module. The major problem is,
that module is Python 2.5 only. Therefore it requires a new version of
Python (and probably won't be supported in Jython in the near future
or ever). OTOH it is quite convenient: An embedded relational database
(without the hassle of asking users to install a database server). Any
ideas on this?

Regards,
Tiago

--