[Biopython-dev] Parsing PubMed XML records

James Diggans jdiggans at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 19:26:19 UTC 2006

Just began a small project to parse records from a few PubMed searches
and in using the Bio.Pubmed and Bio.Medline packages. The method used
(once patched acc. to the link below) in the documentation seems to
use the plain-text Medline format which doesn't seem to include
Affiliation, a field in which I'm interested.

The XML parsers *do* include this field in their parse but it doesn't
look as if they were ever finished (e.g. NLMMedlineXML.py has a
'Citation' object while PubMed.py uses a 'Record' object; I don't see
any hierarchical relationships between the two). Can someone provide a
brief overview as to the status of this package? Is the XML interface
usable (even if I have to write a new format perhaps?)?

Regards,
James

http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2003-July/001348.html