[Biopython-dev] new website & documentation

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Tue May 9 23:59:55 UTC 2006

Hi everybody,

As you may know, the Biopython website is transitioning to a new server
of the Open Bioinformatics Foundation. The OBF folks suggested that we
use a wiki-based website (just like bioperl and biojava) instead of
quixote, which we have been using so far. A prototype wiki-based
Biopython website is now running at
http://biopython.open-bio.org/wiki/Biopython. Feel free to contribute to
this website as you see fit. Don't be shy.

Now the question is whether the complete Biopython documentation should
be wiki-based. For an example, see the Bioperl HOWTOs. This would make
it easier to update the Biopython documentation, and hopefully result in
better and more extensive documentation (which wouldn't hurt). On the
downside, we'd lose the PDFs. (Or is it possible to generate PDFs from
the wiki website? Wiki gurus, let us know). Another option would be to
convert the generic Biopython documentation to wiki (e.g., the
tutorial), but keep specialized modules in the current format.

Opinions?

--Michiel.