[Biopython-dev] Floats and Double in Cluster

Peter (BioPython Dev) biopython-dev at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 13:40:52 UTC 2006

One for Michiel, as the author of Bio.Cluster

I've just been building the latest CVS code on Windows with MSVC 6.0
(Microsoft Visual C++) and noticed there are a lot of warnings about
double to float conversion (with associated data loss) from
Bio/Cluster/ranlib.c (see attached output).

Does this matter?

I've also tried compiling the same code on Linux which I assume is using
the default gcc 4.0.2, and there are no such warnings (even with the
compiler option -Wall being specified).

I found that I could generally get rid of the warnings by adding
explicit (float) cast statements to the problem lines.

Thanks