[Biopython-dev] BioPython Design

Colosimo, Marc E. mcolosimo at mitre.org
Sun Jul 2 19:12:23 UTC 2006

Michiel,

When will this next release be made and what is going into it?

Since you brought up the issue of design question, I'll have my little rant
now. But first, I would like to say that I think it is great that people
contribute code and more importantly their time to this project. With out
all of the core developers there would be no BioPython. So, Kudos to anyone
who has contribute code. Now on to my rant....

<rant>
I'm not a big user of either BioPerl or BioJava. However, they are well
structured and more consistent than BioPython.This FastaIO issue is one of
several design issues that really need to be addressed.

For example, both BioPerl and BioJava use an SeqIO object structure. Our
SeqIO module is heavily underused. For example, we have Fasta, GenBank,
LocusLink, NBRF, SwissProt, UniGene main Modules. Interestingly, there is a
writers.SeqRecord.embl but I can't quickly find something to read in an embl
file!

Just look at what BioPerl can read in
<http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:SeqIO> and how easy it is to find this
out (even with out the doc page, all of these are listed under
Bio::SeqIO::*)

There is a very short "Coding Convention"
<http://biopython.org/wiki/Contributing#Coding_conventions>, which doesn't
seem to be followed all that well.

My suggestion is if enough people are going to ISMB this year (which I am
not), that time should be made to think about a road map for BioPython.

My suggestions are:
1) split off a branch for ver 2.0 that supports Python 2.4 only (this would
suck for Mac people, like me, but its time to move on)
2) clean house - remove depreciated items, restructure IO, etc...
3) move to SciPy/NumPy verse Numeric (could try "numpy/lib/convertcode.py")
4) use Cheese Shop for missing modules
5) documentation

</rant>

marc