[Biopython-dev] RE: problem in using biopython-1.41

Michiel De Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 21 10:50:13 EST 2006

Hi Sarosh,

Thanks for your reply. The problem may be the fact that you're using numarray
instead of Numerical Python. If I remember correctly, numarray has some
facilities to handle large arrays on 64-bits machines. Since Bio.Cluster is
created for Numerical Python, it doesn't know about the numarray-specific
stuff. So the simplest solution may be to install Numerical Python instead of
numarray.

>From your output of "python setup.py install", it appears that even the
compilation of Bio.Cluster failed -- if not all modules that need
compilation: I don't see any of the compiled modules in the install output.
So it looks like something terrible went wrong during "python setup.py
build". Did you get any error messages while running "python setup.py build"?

Finally, there's a typo when you execute 'run_tests("Bio.Cluster")': That
should be Bio.Cluster, not Bio_Cluster.

I think it's best to execute "python setup.py build" again and check if you
get any error messages. Once that works OK, you probably won't get any
testing errors any more. If you do, try again with Numerical Python instead
of numarray. The latest good version of Numerical Python is 24.2.

--Michiel.

Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Columbia University
1150 St Nicholas Avenue
New York, NY 10032