[Biopython-dev] uniprot release 49/biopython script no longer work

gould at embl.de gould at embl.de
Mon Feb 13 03:10:46 EST 2006

the simple script/error message which occurs when attempting to parse
the result
from uniprot is as follows:

gould at milou:~> python
Python 2.4 (#1, Dec 10 2004, 11:49:12)
[GCC 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2
>>> from Bio.WWW import ExPASy
>>> from Bio.SwissProt import SProt
>>> from Bio import File
>>> acc='Q14155'
>>> results = ExPASy.get_sprot_raw(acc.strip()).read()
>>> sp_parser = SProt.RecordParser()
>>> sp_iterator = SProt.Iterator(File.StringHandle(results), sp_parser)
>>> Record = sp_iterator.next()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/SwissProt/SProt.py", line
166, in next
    return self._parser.parse(File.StringHandle(data))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/SwissProt/SProt.py", line
290, in parse
    self._scanner.feed(handle, self._consumer)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/SwissProt/SProt.py", line
332, in feed
    self._scan_record(uhandle, consumer)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/SwissProt/SProt.py", line
337, in _scan_record
    fn(self, uhandle, consumer)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/SwissProt/SProt.py", line
378, in _scan_dt
    self._scan_line('DT', uhandle, consumer.date, exactly_one=1)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/SwissProt/SProt.py", line
359, in _scan_line
    read_and_call(uhandle, event_fn, start=line_type)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/ParserSupport.py", line 301,
in read_and_call
    method(line)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/SwissProt/SProt.py", line
551, in date
    assert rel_index >= 0, \
AssertionError: Could not find Rel. in DT line: DT   01-NOV-1997, integrated
into UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot.