[Biopython-dev] Reading sequences: FormatIO, SeqIO, etc

Peter (BioPython Dev) biopython-dev at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 13:25:07 UTC 2006

Marc Colosimo wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Nice quick work on that. For Clustal, I think it should NOT be an
> Iterator, but there should be SequenceDict or SequenceList for it.
> There are other alignment filetypes out there that could use a
> SequenceIterator (those that are not interlaced).  From looking over
> your code, it seem like it would be easy to add a check in
> File2SequenceDict/List to check for Clustal types and do something
> "special"

Yes, I was thinking wondering about that too.

For interlaced file formats (such as clustalw, NEXUS multiple alignment
format) we have to load the whole file into memory anyway - so using a
SequenceIterator was a bit odd.

What I was trying to do was use a SequenceIterator as the lowest common
denominator - the ClustalIterator shows that this can be done for
interlaced files, and seems to work.

Its trivial to "upgrade" the ClustalIterator to a SequenceDict or
SequenceList if that's what is needed.

The way I wrote the ClustalIterator it actually reads the whole file and
stores a list of IDs and a dictionary mapping the ID to the sequence
string.  It creates SeqRecord objects only on request.  This should use
less memory than a full list of every SeqRecord (but I have not measured
this).

Note that I would also want to add an easy way to turn any
SequenceIterator, SequenceList or SequenceDict into a multiple alignment
object.

Out of interest, what are the largest alignments you deal with?

I was planning to add a Stockholm parser (where the sequences themselves
are non-interleaved).  The PFAM database alignments use this, and are
the largest alignments I am aware of.

However, the format supports per sequence annotation information and
this information can be rather spread out.  Looking at a real example
from PFAM, there were blocks of such data both before and after the
sequences.  The format suggest that such annotation might also be found
next to each sequence.

i.e. An annotation free Stockholm iterator would be easy, but including
the meta data would in general require loading the whole file.

http://www.cgb.ki.se/cgb/groups/sonnhammer/Stockholm.html

It looks like a subclassed version could be written to handle the PFAM
annotations nicely.