[Biopython-dev] Restriction analysis package.

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Sun May 16 14:23:21 EDT 2004

Hello;

> I would like to know if you would be interested by a restriction
> analysis package.
> The packages create classes for restriction enzymes from Rebase data and
> allows to use the generated enzymes to search for restriction site and
> cut the DNA sequence.

We would definitely be interested in something like this, and would
be happy to see your code. Biopython does already have some work
done with Rebase (see Bio/Rebase/__init__.py). Basically, this is
a parser and record to hold Rebase information. It would be great if
your code either supplemented or surpassed the code we already have.
We just want to avoid duplication within Biopython.

If you haven't already you might want to take a look at the guide
for contributing to Biopython:

http://www.biopython.org/docs/developer/contrib.html

Thanks for the mail and looking forward to seeing your code!
Brad