[Biopython-dev] Re: Work towards getting KDTree compiling

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Tue May 11 11:00:57 EDT 2004

Hi Michiel;

[mingw32]
> The compilation works, but making the installer with bdist_wininst doesn't:
> $ /cygdrive/c/Python23/python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32
> works OK
> $ /cygdrive/c/Python23/python setup.py bdist_wininst
> running bdist_wininst
> running build
> running build_py
> running build_ext
> Traceback (most recent call last):
[...]
> AttributeError: MSVCCompiler instance has no attribute 'compiler_so'

Well, one thing at a time. At least the compilation works :-).
Thanks for putting up with this remote debugging process.

First thing about your traceback -- it looks like the bdist_wininst
is using the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler -- at least that is where
the traceback is coming from. Is that, uh, strange, or normal
behavior?

Secondly, it should support compiling on msvc regardless, so I tried
to modify the setup.py to do this. Basically, msvc uses a different
interface to specify the compilers, which I tried to take into
account. I also disabled C++ compilation on msvc until we have
someone with the compiler willing to get it all worked out.

Let me know if this fixes things. I'll probably push back the
release until these problems are all worked out. Hopefully they are
getting there since we get less errors every time :-).

If anyone else reading these mails has time, please do check out the
current version of CVS and try compiling it on your platform and let
me know if there are any errors. This will definitely make life a
lot easier after the release. And easier life means more beers. Yay.

Brad