[Biopython-dev] To the core developers...

Jeffrey Chang jeffrey.chang at duke.edu
Mon Dec 6 21:57:19 EST 2004

Hi James, and everyone else,

As the ex-leader for the Biopython project, I should probably say
something, since no one (except for Iddo :) has responded on the list.
As many of you are aware, I still follow the project on a day to day
basis, but I no longer have the time to maintain the project, and a
little over a year ago, I handed the project off.  However, since then,
Brad seems to have disappeared at some point, and messages to the list
have gone unanswered.

However, I would like to point out, that as a community-based open
source project, it is not Brad's, or anyone else's, responsibility to
answer every question on the list, check every patch, and investigate
every bug report.  Biopython's grown to be too big a project for one
person to manage, while maintaining their day jobs.  While the traffic
on the mailing lists is low to middling, stuff does happen off the list
that eats away at time too.  Even though Iddo has graciously agreed to
step up and help out in a lead role for a while, and I think he would
do a fantastic job, it is becoming clear to me that that is not a
sustainable solution.

I think it is time for the project to move to a group managed system,
where the responsibilities are distributed out to more people, and also
more clearly.  While currently there are people roughly responsible for
different sections of the code, possible other important "jobs" include
making releases, checking in patches, fixing bug reports, responding to
help requests on the mailing lists, and slightly lower priority,
maintaining regression tests, documentation, updating the web page.
Currently, Brad does the lion's share of all this, and with (very
roughly counting) nearly 600 *.py files in the repository now, it's
getting hard.  It's time for people to step up and volunteer to take on
more of these responsibilities.

So what are your thoughts?  Does this make sense, and is there any
interest in the community for trying to spread out the work?  The idea
would be to give more people a stake and responsibility in the project,
and someone (Iddo :) to oversee and help out where he can.  Maintaining
the project is too large a task for someone with a day job, and it's
too hard for one person to be responsible for the majority of the work
anymore.

Jeff