[Biopython-dev] interface/SQL development policies

James Casbon j.a.casbon at qmul.ac.uk
Tue Aug 17 09:02:34 EDT 2004

Hi,

Say I have a module X, which depends heavily on flat file databases.  I wish
to decompose into two classes XFile and XDatabase, where XFile uses the files
and XDatabase use and SQL backend.  This raises a number of questions:

* the two classes imply a common interface X, what is the best way of handling
this in python?  An abstract base class?

* How are regression tests managed for SQL based classes (ie how do you
provide a dummy database, given there might not be an sql server on a
particular client)?

These questions might be best answered with an example, so if there are any
examples covering this kind of stuff already in biopython, please point them
out.

Thanks,
James

--