[Biopython-dev] Documentation for Bio.LogisticRegression

Jeffrey Chang jeffrey_chang at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Apr 25 21:45:23 EDT 2004

Hi Michiel,

Wow, this is a really nice document!  About the only comment that I
have, is that in the first sentence "distinguish K classes from each
other" should be "distinguish 2 classes."  While there are multinomial
models for logistic regression, this code does not handle them.

The "typecode" parameter allows the user to choose the type of Numeric
matrix to use.  Since Newton-Raphson can eat up a lot of memory, on
large problems, sometimes it may be beneficial to use single-precision
floats rather than double, which is used by default.  Thus, "typecode"
accepts Numeric typecodes, which are defined in the Numeric library
like Numeric.Float16, Numeric.Float32, etc.  I left that parameter
undocumented because 1) it goes deeper into the internals than I
normally like to expose, and 2) I wasn't sure how useful it is.

Jeff