[Biopython-dev] Bio.Cluster

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sat Jun 14 01:11:20 EDT 2003

 > Is there a way to do a k-means clustering (or other) based on a
 > distance matrix, rather than on the gene expression vector data?

For k-means clustering, this is in general not possible, as you need to
recalculate the cluster centroids in order to get the distances between
clusters. Ditto for hierarchical clustering using pairwise
centroid-linkage. However, it is possible if the Euclidean distance is
used as a measure of similarity (instead of e.g. the Pearson
correlation), but I haven't implemented that.

For hierarchical clustering using pairwise single-, maximum-, or
average-linkage, the distance matrix is sufficient no matter which
distance measure is used. The hierarchical clustering routine in the
underlying C library actually allows you to pass in the distance matrix
without the original gene expression data.

The reason that I haven't made that available in the Python interface is
the fact that these matrices get quite large (e.g. for the Bacillus
subtilis genome, the > 4000 genes would lead to a matrix with > 16000000
elements). This matrix is symmetric, so actually we need to store only
half of that, which can be done easily in C using a ragged array but not
so easily in Python.

I assume that your protein data are smaller than that, or maybe you
don't care so much about the memory requirements. How do you store the
protein similarity data in Python? If it doesn't matter that the matrix
is stored inefficiently in Python, I can modify the Python/C interface
to let you pass in the distance matrix directly to the pairwise
single/complete/average routines.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science