[Biopython-dev] Additions to SeqUtils

Yair Benita Y.Benita at pharm.uu.nl
Wed Aug 6 03:04:55 EDT 2003

Here is an update to the molecular weight functions in ProtParam:

   # Calculate MW from Protein sequence
    def molecular_weight (self):
        # make local dictionary for speed
        MwDict = {}
        # remove a molecule of water from the amino acid weights.
        for i in IUPACData.protein_weights.keys():
            MwDict[i] = IUPACData.protein_weights[i] - 18.02
        MW = 18.02 # add just one water molecule for the whole sequence.
        for i in self.sequence:
            MW += MwDict[i]
        return MW

--