[Biopython-dev] Re: [Zopymed] Hello fellow snakes !!!

Johann Visagie johann at egenetics.com
Fri Jan 25 03:11:29 EST 2002

chrisf at fagmed.uit.no on 2002-01-24:

> Biopython zope objects complete with interface (Blast, .....) and output
> (BioXML,....)
> Bioperl zope objects complete with interface (T-coffee) and output
> (BioXML, GAME, ...)
> Web maintainers could just install the products and Voila.
> Biopython ZClasses (and maybe BioPerl objects?) could be subclassed for
> special uses through properties interface.
> The output of one zope product could be fed into another allowing for
> complex scripts.
> A weird example.
> From Swissprot chose trypsin->fasta->phylogeny->align each
> group->consesus for each group->common restriction enzymes, .....

I think these are the sort of ideas that need to be shared with the
Biopython (and possibly Bioperl) developers!  :-)

Jon Edwards on 2002-01-25 (Fri) at 00:35:01 -0000:

> For those of us not familiar with the BioInformatics field, could you give a
> little more explanation of some of those terms?

[ snip ]

> Johann Visagie mentioned in an earlier post -
>
> "The concept of using Zope to build a set of "bio-web-widgets" on
> top of Biopython has even been mooted at times."
>
> - is that the sort of thing you mean?

Quite, yes.  I should mention that it had been mooted mostly by me, and
mentioned during the BioPython BoF at BOSC 2000.  To my knowledge, no
actual work - or even serious discussion - along these lines has yet
been undertaken by anyone.  At least not using Zope!

> Would this be mainly for the
> Bioinformatics community, or would it also be useful for other medical
> fields?

Mostly Bioinformatics, I would assume.

> Please excuse my ignorance, I'm from a techie, not a medical background  :-)

Ditto.  :-)

-- V