[Biopython-dev] Biopython: The Flattening

Jeffrey Chang jchang at smi.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 6 12:42:51 EDT 2002

Hi Everybody,

At *last year's* BOSC, a criticism of the Biopython package was that
it is too hard to find modules, and too hard to figure out where to
put new ones.  Thus, I am going to flatten the tree a bit.  For
example, the Bio/Tools directory will disappear, and the packages
inside it will now sit in the Bio namespace.

This is going to cause some disruption to the CVS tree, and will break
code.  However, I think it is worth doing and will improve the package
in the long run.  I will start doing this on Thursday, unless someone
hollers that it's a particularly a bad time for them!

I will go through the packages and fix any references that are broken
by moving packages around.  Please let me know if I miss something, or
something doesn't look quite right.

For developers working on the CVS tree, for the next week or so, make
sure you do CVS checkouts with both the "directory" and "Prune" flags
on:
cvs update -P -d

Jeff