[Biopython-dev] Python version

Cayte katel at worldpath.net
Wed Nov 7 21:31:46 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Dalke" <adalke at mindspring.com>
To: <biopython-dev at biopython.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Biopython-dev] Python version

> Brad:
> >I think you may have misunderstood Jeff. Python 2.0 is the minimum
> >version needed for biopython. I use biopython with 2.0, 2.1 and
> >2.2pre-releases (depending on how lazy I am at updating the python
> >the machine), and everything works fine.
>
> I must add that iterators in Python 2.2 make me want to
> rethink how readers are done in Martel and Biopython.

  Today, when I tested  my NBRF parser, I fed my RecordFile handle into the
Martel RecordReader.  I found one bug that took all day to fix, but it
worked by the end of the day.

  I feel that something like RecordFile is needed, because, for example, it
would be a major hassle to remove all the blank lines from my NBRF file.  I
should add a lot of test cases to RecordFile.  But if python is going to
handle iteration for us, maybe I should not put my time into it?

                                                  Cayte