[Biopython-dev] Python version

Gavin gec at threeplusone.com
Wed Nov 7 12:41:47 EST 2001

>Brad:
>I think you may have misunderstood Jeff. Python 2.0 is the minimum
>version needed for biopython. I use biopython with 2.0, 2.1 and
>2.2pre-releases (depending on how lazy I am at updating the python
>the machine), and everything works fine.

Not at all. If python 2.0 is the minimum version, then I cannot use python 2.1 features when writing biopython code. The only way of making sure of that (that I can think of) is to program against python 2.0.

As a case in point; It was a long while before I realized that PyUnit had only been added to the core python libraries with version 2.1. I only found that out by looking at the PyUnit web site.  Before that revelation I was very puzzled as to why biopython contains PyUnit code.

(This still seems odd. Why isn't PyUnit installed as a separate package? (If you need it.) )

Anyways, the impression that I am getting is that it is too early in the development of biopython to be worrying about the details of which python versions are usable. Yes No?

Gavin