[Biopython-dev] Biopython 1.00a2 release

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Sun Jul 1 13:40:51 EDT 2001

Jeff:
> It smells like time to put together another release to get some bug
> fixes and new functionality out to the public.

Sounds like a great idea! Thanks for pushing for it to happen.

> I currently have the
> middle of next week in mind, although that's still up for debate.

Fine with me.

> Here's my undoubtedly incomplete list of stuff that's been updated
> since the last release (on Mar 3!):
[...]

A few other things I can think of:

o Can output GenBank.Record objects in GenBank format
o Fixes and updates in SubsMat code.

>    1) you're currently working on something and really want to hold
> off until it's done.

Iddo and I were working on fixes and additions he suggested for the
Align stuff. He just sent me a revised version today, so I think we
should be able to have it in within the deadline without a problem.

>    - dynamic programming code (Brad, where's yours? :)

Um...my cat ate it.

Jeff:
> Stuff I'd like, but may not get done:
>    - PDB parser

Andrew:
> I use UPDB to generate Martel format definitions.  However, it's
> not really useful unless the parser can build real data structures,

Thomas:
> I think, this month I can spend significantly more time on the biopython
> project than the last months - so is anything I mentioned worth to pull in
> the next release ?

Don't know if this can make it is the next release, but it seems like
there is:

1. Interest in a PDB parser.
2. Code available from Andrew for a partial PDB parser, that needs
someone to help finish and integrate it.
3. Someone named Thomas with extra time on his hands :-)

Don't know if this is a good match with your interests, Thomas, but
it's at least an idea (man, and I don't get them very often).

In general, sounds good about the release. Please let me know if there
are specific things I can do to help out.

Brad