[Biopython-dev] Re: Ensembl<->Biocorba bridge - sequence gets working.

thomas at cbs.dtu.dk thomas at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Feb 26 06:30:32 EST 2001

Ewan Birney <birney at ebi.ac.uk> writes:

> I don't have the combination of a large, accessible Ensembl database and
> CORBA::ORBit provided. There is also the problem of the Sanger Centre
> firewall.

> It maybe that Thomas is the first person to test out the code ;)

Great, this morning I dived into CORBA and theoretically everything seems to
work. I have a locally running Ensembl database at CBS and at my linuxbox at
home.

But ... in I am not a perl'er and I trying to install ALL necessary perl
modules in order to get the server running via servers/ensembl_server.pl is
a $#%# pain in the $#%#. This morning I promised myself to get it up and
running before I go for breakfast and coffee ... puuuuhhhhh

How easy/realistic would it be to implement the server in python ...
- I feel one hour CORBA crash-course (without coffee) is maybe not enough
to play around with the server code ...

kaffedarra'ly y'rs
-thomas

--
Sicheritz-Ponten Thomas, Ph.D  CBS, Department of Biotechnology
thomas at biopython.org           The Technical University of Denmark

	De Chelonian Mobile ... The Turtle Moves ...