[Biopython-dev] record iteration
adalke at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 31 06:03:37 EST 2001
Me, on standardized Martel tag names.
>This all looks good. Do you have a sense on whether there should be a
>unique prefix or suffix to indicate that a standardized name is being
Well, it's XML so the best solution is probably XML namespaces.
They would look like this:
but I don't know enough about them. I've only been doing
non-namespace work. To make things more fun, the SAX 2.0 API
is slightly different for namespace tags as compared to
non-namespace tags, and I don't know how they are supposed
to work. The documentation I have is pre-2.0, and my
"Python and XML" book hasn't arrived yet.
> e.g. _m_dataset or something like that. Since these names are
>pretty common, especially in this domain, it might be easy to use a
>standard tag name when none was intended...
My plan is several-fold:
- make up my own tag names, since it's just us for now
- document when/how they are used
- look for existing tag names (BTW, I don't understand GAME
all that well)
- convince others to use Martel, or at least the ideas behind
Martel (if no one else uses it, there won't be a namespace
- keep going blithely until there is a problem and/or until
someone tells me how to use SAX 2.0-style namespaces
- present the general Martel/parsing idea in my Biopython talk
at the O'Reilly conference
- bring up the specific problem in a lightning talk
- convince others at the hackathon to help me, as I don't have
enough breadth to get things right.
Going to be a busy January. :)
More information about the Biopython-dev