[Biopython-dev] WIT and KEGG

Cayte katel at worldpath.net
Wed Aug 15 19:12:15 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Chang" <jchang at SMI.Stanford.EDU>
> I agree with Tarjei that these should be separated out, if possible.
> Yes, there's a possibility of bugs when chaining filters together,
> but having two entities developed and debugged separately should have
> fewer bugs (and easier maintenance) than a system where all the
> functionality is munged together.

  I'm not sure what two entities you are referring two.

   Two filters?  I can see the case for not cluttering the KEGG format with
html filters.

   Two modules?  There may be no need for a separate WIT module because the
10 ( filtered ) WIT files are accepted by the KEGG parser.  And the WIT
documentation claims to be using KEGG format. Of course I need to take a
close, byte by byte look to see if any problem lurks in the details..  So
WIT may just need a preprocesor consisting of chained filters.

                                      Cayte