[Biopython-dev] Re: [BioXML-dev] XSLT and Martel output

Bradley Marshall bradmars at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 13:09:47 EDT 2000

It looks great, Andrew.

I haven't crunched any numbers, but my gut feeling is
that xt (from jclark.com) is prob. 5-10 fold faster
than 4XSLT.  Unfortunately, 4XSLT is the only python
xslt processor that I know of.  It's good, but slow.

On the plus side, xt works quite nice in jpython.

Brad

http://www.biopython.org/~dalke/Martel/BOSC2000.poster/sample.xml.txt
> This has 8 records and is about 60K long.
>
> The XSLT engine I used is 4XSLT from ForeThought.
> BTW, it was
> entirely too complicated to install esp. since there
> aren't any
> instructions and there seems to be a missing file
> from one of
> the distributions (but which is in the other).  :(
>
> The actual XSLT text I used is
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <xsl:stylesheet
> version="1.0">
>
> <xsl:template match="//swissprot38_record">
> <xsl:text
> disable-output-escaping="yes">&gt;sp|</xsl:text>
> <xsl:value-of select="*/ac_number"/>
> <xsl:text
> disable-output-escaping="yes">|</xsl:text>
> <xsl:value-of select="*/entry_name"/>
> <xsl:for-each select="DE_block/DE/description">
> <xsl:text> </xsl:text>
> <xsl:value-of select="."/>
> </xsl:for-each>
> <xsl:text>
</xsl:text>
> <xsl:for-each

select="sequence_block/SQ_data_block/SQ_data/sequence">
> <xsl:value-of select="translate(., ' ', '')"/>
> <xsl:text>
</xsl:text>
> </xsl:for-each>
> <xsl:if test="position()!=last()">
> <xsl:text>
</xsl:text>
> </xsl:if>
> </xsl:template>
>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> Example output looks like:
> ====
> >sp|Q43495|108_LYCES PROTEIN 108 PRECURSOR.

MASVKSSSSSSSSSFISLLLLILLVIVLQSQVIECQPQQSCTASLTGLNVCAPFLVPGSP
> TASTECCNAVQSINHDCMCNTMRIAAQIPAQCNLPPLSCSAN
>
> >sp|P18646|10KD_VIGUN 10 KD PROTEIN PRECURSOR (CLONE
> PSAS10).

MEKKSIAGLCFLFLVLFVAQEVVVQSEAKTCENLVDTYRGPCFTTGSCDDHCKNKEHLLS