[Biopython-announce] Merging Biopython & -dev mailing list; retiring -announce list

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 11 00:19:51 UTC 2017

Hello all,

(For reasons which the following should explain, I have
also BCC'd various people active in the Biopython community)

This email may never arrive, but in case it does, the OBF is
currently having difficulties with its mailman server buckling
under the strain of spam filtering:

The OBF is considering moving a small number of active
mailing lists to paid hosting, and to that end it would be
expedient to merge the biopython (users and discussion)
and biopython-dev (development) mailing lists, and also
to shut down the biopython-announce mailing list.

[We would seek to preserve the decade public long mailing
list archives during such a migration.]

Given most of our development discussion now happens
on GitHub, I think we could happily combine the main
biopython and biopython-dev lists without objection.

I'm curious how many people would miss the annoucement
mailing list, mainly used for release notices which also go
out via Twitter and the OBF blog, see:

https://twitter.com/biopython

https://news.open-bio.org/category/obf-projects/biopython/

Any objections, please reply to the main Biopython list
and/or the biopython-dev list (and CC me in case the
mailman server never passes it on).

Thank you,

Peter
(Here writing as both a representative for the Biopython
developers, and the OBF Board)