[Biopython-announce] Call for Papers - NETTAB 2004

Paolo Romano paolo at ist.unige.it
Wed Apr 7 06:48:43 EDT 2004

Dear biopython members,

I'm glad to announce the launch of the Call for Papers for the NETTAB 2004
Workshop on "MODELS AND METAPHORS FROM BIOLOGY TO BIOINFORMATICS TOOLS".

I hope to see many of you in Camerino on next September.

Bye. Paolo Romano
---

                    NETTAB 2004 Call for Papers

             NETWORK TOOLS AND APPLICATIONS IN BIOLOGY

              Fourth International NETTAB Workshop on

     MODELS AND METAPHORS FROM BIOLOGY TO BIOINFORMATICS TOOLS
                    http://www.nettab.org/2004/

                     Universita' di Camerino,
               September 5-7, 2004, Camerino, Italy

IMPORTANT DATES
----------------------

Paper submission (full paper): June 15, 2004.
Notifications of acceptance to authors: July 15, 2004.
Final version of accepted papers:  August 1, 2004
Poster submission:  June 31, 2004
Workshop: September 5-7, 2004

MOTIVATION AND SCOPE
----------------------

The post-genomic era can be seen as characterized by two different scenarios:
on the one hand, the huge amount of available biological data sets all over
the world requires suitable tools and methods both for modelling biological
processes and analyzing biological sequences; on the other, many new
computational models and paradigms inspired and developed as metaphors of
biological systems are ready to be applied in the context of computer science.

It may now be a good time to: (i) report on the results achieved in these
two areas, (ii) present some open problems in computational biology,
(iii) advertise novel computational tools successfully applied to biological
issues, (iv) spread the knowledge on computational models inspired by
biological processes, and (v) foster the application of computational models
to govern real biological systems.

The workshop intends to bring together bioscientists and computer scientists
and to compare their approaches and their ideas for solving computational
biology open problems. In particular, we expect the participation of those
who are developing novel bioinformatics tools and those who are working
towards the vision of biological systems as a model for designing new tools.

The workshop will also aim to inspire future collaboration between the
different communities, to strengthen the relationships within the
bioinformatics community, to activate a cooperation between bioscientists and
computer scientists, to collect the latest ideas, achievements and proposals
in computational models and metaphors from biology.

TOPICS OF INTEREST
----------------------
Topics to be covered will include, but not limited to, the following list:

>From Biologists - Open problems in:
- Molecular evolution and theoretical biology
- Gene regulation and expression
- Functional genomics
- Comparative genomics
- Protein structure and interaction
- Gene and enzyme networks
- Metabolic pathways and responses
- Genetic and ecological systems
- Pharmacogenomics and Toxicogenomics

>From Bioinformaticians - Novel techniques and computational tools in:
- Bio-information processing systems
- Data Integration
- Ontologies and knowledge management
- Protein interaction pathways and responses
- Protein structure and modelling
- Gene networks
- Genomics and comparative genomics
- Functional genomics
- Microarrays and gene expression patterns
- Sequence analysis
- Motif finding

>From Computer Scientists - Promising models and metaphors in:
- Bioware languages and models
- Data management methods and systems
- Biologically inspired systems
- Evolutionary algorithms
- Machine learning
- Genetic computation
- DNA computing
- Computation in neural systems
- Neural hardware
- Autonomous and evolutionary robotic
- Cellular automata
- Self-organizing, self-repairing and self- replicating systems
- Data mining in bioscience literature
- Concurrent languages for biology
- New technologies and methods

SUBMISSION
----------------------
NETTAB04 welcomes original contributions, containing new and unpublished
results, on both theoretical and practical issues of computational paradigms
and novel tools inspired or applied particularly to biological systems.

Submitted papers should normally have at most 12 pages using the Springer
LNCS style. Templates (llncs.cls, llncs.sty, or sv-lncs.dot) are available
under the "Downloads" heading at:
http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,10735,5-164-2-72376-0,00.html

Posters sessions will be organized as opportunity to exhibit late-breaking
results and to discuss these results with conference participants in an
informal setting. Abstracts for posters should consist of a 1-2 page summary
of the work to be presented.

PROCEEDINGS AND POST-PROCEEDINGS
----------------------
All accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings.
Furthermore, the best papers will be published in a special issue of
Springer-Verlag "Transaction on Computational Systems Biology"
http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,10735,5-164-2-109319-0,00.html

WORKSHOP CHAIRS
----------------------
Emanuela Merelli,
DMI, Universita' di Camerino, Italy (Emanuela.merelli at unicam.it)
Pablo Gonzalez,
DEIS, Universita' di Bologna a Cesena, Italy (pgonzalez at ingce.unibo.it)
Andrea Omicini,
DEIS Universita' di Bologna a Cesena, Italy (andrea.omicini at unibo.it)

ADVISORY BOARD
----------------------
Paolo Romano, National Cancer Research Institute,  Genova, Italy
Luca Toldo, Merck KGaA, Germany
Emanuela Merelli, Universita' di Camerino, Italy
Luciano Milanesi, CNR Milano, Italy
Angelo Facchiano, CNR Avellino, Italy
Peter McBurney, University of Liverpool, UK

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE
----------------------
Russ Altman, Stanford University Medical Center, USA
Jeffrey Bradshaw, Human and Machine Cognition in Pensacola, USA
Luca Cardelli, Microsoft Research, Cambridge,UK
Pierpaolo Degano, Universita' di Pisa, Italy
Marco Dorigo, Universita' Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
David Gilbert, City University, UK
Carole Goble, University of Manchester, UK
Pablo Gonzalez, DEIS, Universita' di Bologna a Cesena, Italy
Anna Ingolfsdottir, University of Aalborg, Denmark
Michael Luck, University of Southsampton, UK
Peter McBurney, University of Liverpool, UK
Emanuela Merelli, Universita' di Camerino, Italy
Andrea Omicini, DEIS Universita' di Bologna a Cesena, Italy
Corrado Priami, Universita' di Trento, Italy
Aviv Regev, Harvard University, USA
Giorgio Valle, Universita' di Padova, Italy
Franco Zambonelli, Universita' di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Italy

LOCAL ORGANIZERS
----------------------
Mauro Angeletti, Roberto Ciccocioppo, Emanuela Merelli, Cristina Miceli,
Universita' di Camerino

IMPORTANT DATES
----------------------
Paper submission (full paper): June 15, 2004.
Notifications of acceptance to authors: July 15, 2004.
Final version of accepted papers:  August 1, 2004
Poster submission:  June 31, 2004
Workshop: September 5-7, 2004

ABOUT CAMERINO
----------------------
Although not very famous, Camerino is indeed one of the most beautiful
little towns of Central Italy, being its medieval historical center one
of the oldest in Region Marche. Camerino hosts one of the most ancient
university in Italy. Placed on a spur on the Appennini Mountains at 670
meters high on the sea-level, Camerino achieves its period of greatest
splendour under the rule of the Da Varano family. From the top of its rock
it dominates the large valleys of the rivers Chienti and Potenza underneath,
occupied by towers and fortresses. But if the town might look austere,
the countryside, instead, is colourful and offers a lot of farms holidays
where to spend a weekend
<http://www.incastro.marche.it/incastro/camerino/eng/default.HTM>

----
Paolo Romano (paolo.romano at istge.it)
National Cancer Research Institute
Largo Rosanna Benzi, 10, I-16132, Genova, Italy
Tel: +39-010-5737-288  Fax: +39-010-5737-295