[Bioperl-l] Fate of Bio::Perl newbie module?

Carnë Draug carandraug+dev at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 12:08:08 UTC 2019

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 at 10:52, Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu> wrote:

> Hi Carnė,
>
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 10:34:19AM +0000, Carnė Draug wrote:
> >
> > The Bio::Perl module is on the Bio-Procedural repository [1].  No one
> > has picked up its maintenance and remains unreleased so you won't find
> > it on CPAN.
>
> Would you volunteer to take over this one?

I'm sorry but I can't.

> If not could you give some
> short intro what is needed to do to get that module back on CPAN?

Sure.  Someone will need to show interest on take over maintenance of
it.  To do so, I would open an issue on the repo [2] saying that I was
interested.  This person will need a PAUSE account [3].  The admin of
the BIOPERLML on PAUSE (that's cjfields) will need to give permissions
to that person.

The distribution is already setup to be released with bioperl's dzil
plugin bundle [4].  The instructions are there.

I think a maintainer should at least address issues #1 [5] and #2 [6]
before making the release.

Also, beware of the following optional dependencies which are not part
of the core BioPerl distribution (not sure if already packaged in
Debian):

  * Bio::DB::EMBL
  * Bio::DB::GenBank
  * Bio::DB::GenPept
  * Bio::DB::RefSeq
  * Bio::Tools::Run::RemoteBlast

As well as these also optional dependencies which are also not on CPAN
yet:

  * Bio::DB::RefSeq [7]
  * Bio::DB::SwissProt [8]

David