[Bioperl-l] new bioperl release please?

Carnë Draug carandraug+dev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:58:04 UTC 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 17:09, Fields, Christopher J
<cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:

> On January 29, 2019 at 9:37:34 AM, Carnë Draug (carandraug+dev at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> There's currently a lot of changes in bioperl, mainly about
>> splitting modules into their own separated distributions.
>>
>> Is there anything preventing a new release? Because the changes
>> are mostly about splitting bioperl, there should not be any new
>> issue blocking a release or regression. I got it configured with
>> dzil so a new release should be as simple as `dzil release`.
>>
>> I would like to package the chnages it for Debian before their
>> freeze.
>>
>> I would also like to avoid mixing code fixes with the split of
>> into multiple distributions.
>>
>> David
>
> When are the dates before the Debian freeze? [...]

https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html

Seems like it's already pass.  I thought it was in two weeks time but
that's soft freeze.  Debian is already in transition freeze so large
changes are no longer acceptable.

I can still prepare the debian package for unstable.

> [...] There aren’t really
> any true blockers, it’s primarily blocking off some time to do this
> and ensure tests are passing.  I wanted to do a release over the
> holiday break, but $job took much more of my time than expected.
> Would you be interested in joining in on releases?  It might help
> expediting these.

Sure.  I can run 'dzil release' in bioperl-live from my computer, no
problem.  It only takes a few minutes.  Do I have the permissions in
PAUSE to do it?