[Bioperl-l] Biology database looking for a new home

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon May 7 20:19:41 UTC 2018

Regarding Zenodo, I agree this would be the best immediate solution to make sure there is at least one snapshot available to the community.  Data Dryad is also mentioned quite a bit for this purpose.

Long-term maintenance of any database is tricky, even for popular genome databases.  This is a much more specific target, so a museum or similar in the same or close geographic location seems like a good fit.

chris

On 5/7/18, 12:56 PM, "Bioperl-l on behalf of Peter Cock" <bioperl-l-bounces+cjfields=illinois.edu at mailman.open-bio.org on behalf of p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:

    The missing URL for the project: https://nativeplants.evergreen.ca/

    Quoting the message:

    > The Native Plant Database is retiring on May 31st
    >
    > 15 years ago, Evergreen launched the Native Plant Database
    > as a tool to support our work in urban greenspace stewardship
    > and restoration across Canada. In the years since, our focus
    > as an organization has evolved and unfortunately we are
    > unable to dedicate the necessary resources to maintain the
    > Database in good order. After much deliberation, we have
    > decided that it is necessary to decommission the Native Plant
    > Database, effective May 31st, 2018.
    >
    > After this date, the Database website will be taken offline. If
    > you have registered an account, your personal information
    > will be deleted from our server, including all saved plant lists.
    > If you would like to save your lists or any plant information,
    > please do so by printing it prior to May 31st.
    >
    > If possible, it is our hope to transfer the Database to another
    > organization who will continue to expand the work and
    > contributions from Database visitors. If you work for an
    > organization that would be interested in taking on this
    > responsibility, please contact Lisa Ditschun at
    > lditschun at evergreen.ca.
    >
    > Thank you for your interest, contributions and support of
    > our Native Plant Database.

    End quote.

    I would suggest depositing a long term read only export at
    Zenodo (http://about.zenodo.org/) for long term archiving
    backed by CERN.

    However, hosting for an ongoing live copy of the database
    is less straightforward. I don't think think this is something
    BioPerl or the Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF) would
    take on, but there is a chance one of our members may have
    a good idea - perhaps a botanical garden or natural history
    museum?

    Peter
    (OBF board member, but speaking here in a personal
    capacity)