[Bioperl-l] Biology database looking for a new home

Gordon Haverland ghaverla at materialisations.com
Mon May 7 15:34:52 UTC 2018

Hello.

I've been a long time user of Perl.  I had heard of BioPerl a long time
ago, never looked into things beyond that.

I have a problem with deer on my farm, and so I am building up a
database on things which deer might not want to eat.  In doing so, and
research the edibility of red elderberries, I happened across the
Native Plants database at Evergreen.ca.  There was a message there,
that they are shutting down the database at the end of the month (May
2018), and they would like to find a new home for the data.

I have a fair amount of disk space, so I sent them a note.  Their reply
was that they would prefer that some organization take it over, not
just someone with a few TB of disk space.  :-)

I mentioned CPAN and BioPerl in my reply to them.  I thought I should
"advertise" this here as well.

Gord