[Bioperl-l] Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Thu Sep 14 22:18:22 UTC 2017

Not directly, that's correct.  However, there are at least three alternatives, each with various pros and cons.

1) We could front the site with Cloudflare. This would give us a free SSL cert from Cloudflare. It would not redirect http to https, and would require moving DNS for the domain to Cloudflare.

2) Proxy the traffic from Github.io through our Apache server on AWS. This would allow us to redirect http to https, and we'd use a Let's Encrypt SSL cert. For Apache the LE certbot can auto-renew, I think. In essence this is us doing some of what Cloudflare would do, except for DDOS protection, so the site would then have a single point of failure.

3) Use Gitlab Pages for hosting. This would allow SSL certs for custom domains. My understanding is they also support Let's Encrypt for cert renewal, but I haven't tried that yet. Downside is that now we're hosting the repo in a different place than everything else Bioperl. I also don't know about redirecting http to https.

-hilmar

Sent from away