[Bioperl-l] Some trouble getting started

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 16 14:00:20 UTC 2013

Shall we move this to the cross-project list and/or root-l instead?

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Fields, Christopher J
<cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:
>> That bug is a bit odd - it doesn't seem to have been filed against
>> any particular project, and has no assignee - and so most likely
>> no one was ever emailed of the bug's existence. :(
>>
>> Peter
>
> It's an OBF bug; makes sense in light of the common wiki issues
> across Bio* wikis at the moment.  Looks as if we never decided
> where such issues end up going or who they would be assigned to.

My mistake - it wasn't clear from the bug page, but issue 3424 is
actually filed under the general obf project,
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3424
https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/obf

I guess we could have had the root-l or open-bio-l lists the
default assignee for that project (much like how we have the
biopython-dev mailing list as the default assignee for Biopython
issues on RedMine).

> What is the consensus on using redmine at the moment?  Are the
> various Bio* (except BioPerl) still using it?  Using Github?  I haven't
> gone there primarily b/c they don't allow attachments (though that
> isn't necessarily a bad thing in some cases…).  Reason I ask: I
> would suggest we set up this project tracker so that it's primarily
> around web-admin, etc. for OBF, point the email forwards to
> somewhere useful, populate it with devs from the various groups,
> etc.  But, if no one but bioperl is using redmine then I don't see
> the point.

In the short term improving the OBF project setup on RedMine
seems a good idea (default assignees and new issue alerts).
https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/obf

BioSQL and BioRuby are also using RedMine according to their
homepages.

Biopython is still using RedMine but we're talking about moving
to the GitHub issue tracker instead (you can use github gists for
attachments), most likely a manual transfer and triage of all the
old open issues.

According to their homepage, BioJava are already using
GitHub, I don't know if they turned off filing bugs on Redmine
(and if not, that would be sensible):
https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/biojava

If we do all move to GitHub issues, then for general OBF
bug tracking (e.g. wordpress setup, DNS issues) we could
use something under https://github.com/OBF/ for that.

Regards,

Peter