[Bioperl-l] Update: call for Google Summer of Code project ideas

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Mar 2 16:09:23 UTC 2012

On Mar 2, 2012, at 7:54 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Robert Buels <rbuels at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As kindly pointed out by Reece Hart, the previous email I sent out calling
>> for Google Summer of Code project ideas, had the wrong due date for project
>> ideas in it.
>>
>> I actually want them to all be in place by Friday, March 2, which is this
>> coming Friday.
>>
>> == Instructions for Wiki Editing ==
>>
>> For each of the OBF projects that wants to do GSoC again this year, please:
>>
>> a.) Update the list of project ideas on your project's GSoC page (BioPython,
>> BioPerl, BioRuby, etc).  Add new ones, remove ones that have already been
>> done or no longer relevant, etc.
>>
>> b.) Update the list of project ideas on the main OBF GSoC page
>> (http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code) to match.
>>
>> c.) Let me know via email that you have done so and it's ready for Google to
>> peruse.
>>
>> == end instructions ==
>>
>> Again, please have the updates done by this Friday (March 2). The number and
>> quality of the project ideas are part of the evaluation process for whether
>> OBF is accepted as a Summer of Code organization again this year, so let's
>> come up with some good ones.  :-)
>>
>> Rob
>
> Hi all,
>
> I had a quick look at the BioPerl page (partly for inspiration for Biopython
> projects), and it doesn't seem to have been updated since the 2011 project
> ideas:
>
> http://bioperl.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
>
> Some of those 2011 ideas became actual projects didn't they? If so, can
> any of them be continued as a new project for 2012?
>
> Over on the BioSQL mailing list I suggested a combined BioSQL+BioPerl
> project idea to support the SQLite schema. Does anyone fancy mentoring
> that?
>
> Peter

Things have been rather quiet lately, I believe b/c everyone is busy with other $obligations, I myself have been ridiculously busy lately but try to pipe up when I can.  A few of the projects on that page are still legitimate, though, and I think support of SQLite is a good project.

I would really like to see a somewhat Bio*-agnostic ORM for BioSQL, though.  I know there was an effort for a DBIx::Class-based one a few years back, not sure how far that progressed.