[Bioperl-l] Bio: :SeqIO::excel

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 6 17:14:19 UTC 2012

Generally I would say that with any BioPerl module it's a good idea to start with the test suite, but unfortunately Bio::SeqIO::excel doesn't seem to have any test coverage.  That'll have to be rectified...

The 'replacement list' warning is harmless and is fixed in the latest BioPerl on CPAN.  As for using Excel directly, an easy workaround is one could just as easily save this as tab- or comma-delimited format (which Excel can export) and then use something like perl's builtin split() function to create the sequence objects on the fly.  If you are worried about CSV conversion issues, Text::CSV is a very good module and has an XS-based counterpart that is very fast (all well-documented).

On the BioPerl end, creation of Bio::Seq is covered in the BioPerl HOWTOs.