[Bioperl-l] Computer requirements to do bioinformatic analysis

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 3 10:14:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Giorgio C <casaburi at ceinge.unina.it> wrote:

> Hy all,
>
> my department want to buy a new computer to do bioinformatic analysis for
> next generation sequencing. Can you suggest me something good with some
> paramount requirements ?? (CPU; RAM....etc.etc.).
>
> Thanks you very much

That is rather a vague query - important questions include what kind
of organism (e.g. bacteria) which affects the size of the problem,
also are you planning genome assembly, transcriptome assembly,
or just mapping reads to a know reference. Have a look at the
forum posts at http://seqanswers.com - both browsing and some
specific searches since this kind of question has come up there
a lot. Generally RAM is more of a bottleneck, but it depends on
the task at hand.

Peter