[Bioperl-l] question about positioning peptide in a full protein sequence

Frank Schwach fs5 at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 09:26:21 UTC 2011

Hi Mingwei,

I guess this is MS data for phosphorylation sites? We are doing the same
here. I don't know what software you are using in yuor MS pipeline but
it may already map the peptides to the full-length protein for you. If
not, you probably get peptide sequences with the probabilities of a site
carrying a phosphate (or whatever post-translational modification)
encoded in the string, e.g the data I'm working with will show me
something like "..LKS[0.99]S[0.01]..." to indicate probabilities of 99%
and 1% of those two serines being modified. You then have to extract
that data from the peptide string using a regex. Then you can identifiy
the most probable site within the string and map the peptide string to
the full-length protein sequence using index (or a regex) as Chris
suggested. You can then calculate the position of the actual modified
site from the match position of the peptide and the position of the site
within the peptide. I don't think there is any ready-made solution of
this as it is basically just simply string-matching but please do let me
knof if you are getting stuck and I can help you further.

Cheers,

Frank