[Bioperl-l] PAML Codeml version supported

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Sat Feb 19 15:25:17 UTC 2011

Hi Laurent,

The last version of PAML/CODEML that I personally verified to work with
BioPerl was 4.3b. Unfortunately, PAML's author has a bad habit of constantly
changing his programs' output format — and constantly releasing new versions
— so it's difficult for us to keep up.

Are you using a relatively recent version of bioperl-live downloaded from
github? If so, would you please file this as a bug? Please include with that
bug a codeml output file from version 4.4 (assuming that's the version you
want to use).

http://bugzilla.open-bio.org/

I haven't tested it, but I think your code is fine — the error you posted is
in the parsing code, not in the run-PAML code.

Incidentally, I'm surprised 3.15 doesn't work because we have tests
specifically for that version that pass AFAIK. But of course tests don't
cover everything.

Dave