[Bioperl-l] NESCent Seeks Hackathon Whitepapers

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Sat Feb 5 23:45:47 UTC 2011

The National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent), in keeping with
its objective to promote collaborative development of open-source,
reusable, and standards-supporting informatics resources, sponsors
highly collaborative, face-to-face software development events, called
"hackathons" (see [1]). To ensure that this program continues to be
responsive to user needs and to tap into the expertise and creativity
of the evolutionary biology community, NESCent is soliciting short
whitepapers (2-6 pages) [2] on potential target areas for future
hackathons.

To further encourage submissions, we have now distilled specific
guidelines for proposing hackathon events, based on the experiences
gained from events we have sponsored in the past:
http://informatics.nescent.org/wiki/Hackathon_Whitepaper_Guidelines

The Center's Call for Informatics Whitepapers [3] includes not only
hackathons, but also a large spectrum of other initiatives to be
undertaken by the Center, including training, software development,
collaborative ontology development, and coordination of data
standards. Whitepapers are accepted at any time and reviewed on an on-
going basis.

URLs:
[1] Collaborative cyberinfrastructure events and programs organized by
NESCent:
http://informatics.nescent.org/wiki/Main_Page

[2] NESCent Call for Informatics Whitepapers
http://www.nescent.org/informatics/whitepapers.php

[3] Hackathon Whitepaper Guidelines:
http://informatics.nescent.org/wiki/Hackathon_Whitepaper_Guidelines

[4] Past NESCent-sponsored hackathons: