[Bioperl-l] Client-side Scansite Bioperl module

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Mon Sep 6 12:14:20 UTC 2010

Hi Jonathan,

Great to hear you're interested in including your code in BioPerl!

In general, we are liberal in what we accept. I think (and I'd like to hear what other BioPerlers think) the value of adding your code depends a lot on how it ties in with existing BioPerl objects — does it make use of Bio::Seq or Bio::SeqIO, for example?

If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at some of our developer documentation. For example:

	http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Bioperl_Best_Practices
	http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Advanced_BioPerl

Also, the other thing to be aware of is that in the near future BioPerl itself will be splitting up into separately distributed modules anyway.

I can't find a good recent thread that discussed the rationale and details, but here's a couple anyway:

	http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Proposed_BioPerl_changes
	http://old.nabble.com/Final-BioPerl-1.6-release-td29180027.html#a29195208

Dave