[Bioperl-l] Generating a consensus sequence from a Clustal alignment

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 19 15:47:16 UTC 2010

Bio::SimpleAlign is the class that contains the alignment data; it does not generate the alignment for you.  You can use modules from BioPerl-Run that run ClustalW, MUSCLE, T-Coffee, etc to get a Bio::SimpleAlign instance, or parse the already-generated alignment output via Bio::AlignIO.

>From the Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment::ClustalW docs:

  #  Build a clustalw alignment factory
  @params = ('ktuple' => 2, 'matrix' => 'BLOSUM');
  $factory = Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment::Clustalw->new(@params);

  #  Pass the factory a list of sequences to be aligned.
  $inputfilename = 't/data/cysprot.fa';
  $aln = $factory->align($inputfilename); # $aln is a SimpleAlign object.

  # ...or
  $seq_array_ref = \@seq_array;

  # where @seq_array is an array of Bio::Seq objects
  $aln = $factory->align($seq_array_ref);

$aln is a Bio::SimpleAlign derived from ClustalW output.

>From Bio::SimpleAlign (note the use of Bio::AlignIO):

  # Use Bio::AlignIO to read in the alignment
  $str = Bio::AlignIO->new(-file => 't/data/testaln.pfam');
  $aln = $str->next_aln();

  # Describe
  print $aln->length;
  print $aln->num_residues;
  print $aln->is_flush;
  print $aln->num_sequences;
  print $aln->score;
  print $aln->percentage_identity;
  print $aln->consensus_string(50);

Note the consensus_string() method:

 Title     : consensus_string
 Usage     : $str = $ali->consensus_string($threshold_percent)
 Function  : Makes a strict consensus
 Returns   : Consensus string
 Argument  : Optional treshold ranging from 0 to 100.
             The consensus residue has to appear at least threshold %
             of the sequences at a given location, otherwise a '?'
             character will be placed at that location.
             (Default value = 0%)

chris